The radiation oncologist called me back this afternoon. He looked over the results and he supports my decision for surgery and said that unless I change my mind, there is no reason for me to see him again. He said that I will also need to discuss with my GYN about removing my ovaries.
I'm meeting with the oncologist Friday morning at 8:30 am. They are squeezing me in, so that I don't have to wait until next week. We'll see what he has to say.
I don't remember if I mentioned on here or not about my oldest sister (J) getting the genetic testing done a few years ago. My middle sister (S) said that J had mentioned it, but she told her that everything was negative. Well at our birthday dinner (we all have January birthdays) on January 29th she decided to tell us that her genetic test came back with very high likelihood of getting cancer. She just had a snotty attitude in the way she said it which pissed me off more than anything. She didn't say if she was a positive match or suspect (like me). S and I were sooooo pissed that she never told us. This would have made everything so different for me because if I had known that, I wouldn't have waited for the genetic tests and would have gone with the bilateral mastectomy instead of having two separate surgeries. S is even more pissed because she doesn't have health insurance and she assumed that J wasn't having any problems, so there was no reason for her to worry. Then we find out that J has had several biopsies and they've all been negative, but the point is that she's had stuff to worry about and hasn't felt the need to tell us.
I was reading on the genetic lab website and one of the first things it says to do is to alert family members that may also carry the gene. I don't know why she felt that she didn't need to let us know.
S is in the process of getting insurance, but she finally made an appointment for a mammogram. She's going to pay for it unless she can get in touch with First Friday before then. She's just worried that they are going to find something and then she will have no way to pay for it. So some extra prayers for my sister that they find nothing would be nice.
9 comments:
Tons and tons of prayers for you and your sisters, Jenn. I was talking about you with a friend of mine last week and she recommended a book called "What We Have" by Amy Boesky about a family of women who all carry the BRCA gene. Thought I'd pass along the recommendation.
HUGS!!!!!!!!
{{{Hugs}}}, Jenn. I am so sorry that your sister wasn't more forthright with the info she got from her own testing. I will keep you and your sisters in my thoughts as you continue in your treatment and your sister looks into her own situation.
When I had a biopsy several years ago, I was very aware to tell my sisters about it, not because we have family history but because I wanted them to know they weren't alone if they ended up going through something similar later. Family history is only useful if people share what they know!
*Hugs* You are so strong.
We'll be thinking of you, Jenn. Hugs!
BIG *HUGS* Jenn!!
You and your family will continue to be in my thoughts. Sorry that J didn't tell y'all sooner about her results. I hope S will be ok and that there'll be nothing for her to worry about.
Good luck to you as you continue down this path and making decisions for your future!
*hugS*
Your sister is in my thoughts. And you, of course, continue to be in my thoughts, too! xoxo
Jenn,
I don't even know what to say, but know that you are in my thoughts. I am amazed by your strength!
hugs.
((((hugs))))
Post a Comment