Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I don't even know where to start

On Friday, my step-mom's dad died and today her mom died. They have both been living in a nursing home for a while. I can't remember when they moved her dad there, but I know her mom moved there in November when my dad had back surgery. They both had advanced alzheimers (sp) and she had many other problems. They didn't recognize anyone or each other. She didn't really understand when they told her that he had passed away, but I guess she must have somehow known because she didn't hang on much longer. They had been married over 60 years.

I'm very sad about their loss even though we were not close. I didn't call them grandma or grandpa. They were Marge & Mike. But even though we weren't close, they have been a part of my life since my dad married my step-mom over 14 years ago. I went to Vegas several times when they lived out there and then when their health starting going downhill, they moved into my dad's house and eventually my dad built them a two bedroom house in the backyard. I watched them a few times when my dad and step-mom had to go out and they couldn't be left alone. I may not have helped out as they started getting worse, but I couldn't handle it.

The part that has me so upset right now, though, is the way that I was told of their deaths. Friday I was very busy at work and didn't have time to check my personal e-mail account. Then we had a baseball game, so I didn't get home until after 11 where I checked my e-mail. My step-mom had e-mailed me (along with everyone else from church) to let us know that he dad had died. I called my sister first thing Saturday morning to ask if she had gotten a phone call. She said that Dad had called her, but only asked her to come paint a room and he didn't say anything about the SM's dad's death.

Well this morning I had time around 10 a.m. to check my personal e-mail and there was one in there from about 8 a.m. saying that SM's mom had passed away this morning. I immediately called my sister and she said that our Dad had called her about an hour earlier. I asked her why she didn't call me and she thought that dad was calling everyone. I told her that I got an e-mail along with the church family, so I guess I wasn't a part of the immediate family anymore.

I can't say anything to my dad or stepmom right now. I'll let it cool off and bring it up later. I'm not expecting to get a phone call about everything because there are 3 of us, but they could at least call one of us and then we can relay the message to the other 2 sisters. Is that too much to ask?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

{{Huge Hugs}} hon. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I don't even know what to say about being told this all by *email* - other than that I share your anger about it!! When things simmer down a bit, definitely bring it up. It's definitely been a rough weekend for your dad and stepmom, I'm sure...

Nancy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss *Hugs*

Kelsie said...

Giant hugs Jenn. I am very sorry for your loss.

I hate the way your dad is treating you as well. I know that has to be rough!

{{{HUGS!}}}

miika said...

Big hugs to you, Jenn, I'm so sorry about your loss.

And I can't believe your dad would treat you that way...