Friday, August 28, 2009

Finally - laws that make sense

Effective September 1, 2009 - Texas will have some new driving laws. One - all adults no matter where they are sitting must be in a seatbelt properly. I have to remember that when I'm sitting in the back seat because I have a habit of not putting one on.

But it's the booster seat law that I'm happy about. The recommended booster seat guidelines was until 8 years of age or 4'9". It was only recommended. Well, I followed it and made Haley sit in her booster seat. I got plenty of ridicule especially from Jason's sister when I required Haley to ride in a booster seat with them. They have 4 kids (2 younger than Haley) and they have been out of booster seats for several years. (They also don't wear the seatbelt properly, but that's a different issue.) Effective on the 1st - it is no longer just a recommendation, it's a law! http://www.kxan.com/dpp/mobile/New_rules_of_the_road My sister-n-law will now have to get a booster seat for her son who will not be 8 until next June.

I have a friend here in town who has 4 kids (9, almost 7, 4, and almost 2) and only the two little ones are in child safety seats. The older two use to ask me why Haley's in a booster seat. I told them I feel safer because she's not tall enough for the seatbelt to fit her properly. Haley is finally big enough for her feet to rest on the floor when she is sitting back in the seat, so she doesn't need it anymore, but she likes it because it lifts her up and she can see better. But now my friend will have to get one for her almost 7 year old.

Even though Haley is over 8, I'm glad that these people who thought I was crazy for making her stay in a booster seat will have to go out and buy them for their kids.

No comments: