Thursday, May 19, 2011

Family drama sucks

A few weeks before Easter, my BIL called and asked what our plans were for Easter. I told him that we hadn't decided and asked what they were doing. He said they were waiting on us to decide. He called a couple more times before Easter, but I still didn't know what our schedule was going to be. I talked to my sister the Tuesday before Easter about their plans and she told me that they were having BIL's family over to their house. I asked then why was he calling me asking me about our plans and she said that he probably wanted to invite us, but just never said anything. So by the end of the phone call, we had decided that we would join them at their house, but I had this uneasy feeling that my sister really didn't want us there.


Easter comes and we are there before everyone else. Jason is picking on niece (like he always does) and everyone is having a good time. Jason's mom shows up and makes a big deal about how she didn't know we were going to be there. It seems that her and my sister have become good friends and she spends almost every weekend with them. So now I really feel that we weren't supposed to be there.

A few days after Easter I get a phone call from my sister and she starts chewing me out for the way Jason talks to people. She says he is rude to my niece and to his mom and I don't ever stop him. I just let him talk bad about people. She tells me that his mom said he is turning into his dad and I should do something now before I end up miserable like MIL. She also told me that she will not help me after surgery if he is at the house. I took this entire conversation that I need to decide between my husband and my sister.

Jason has been the same person for the past 11 years and yes he can be crude and sometimes rude, but she has never said a word about him, but now that she's hanging out with his mom, everything is different.

Niece is graduating from high school on June 3rd and I was already making plans for Haley and I to go. Yesterday I found out from my dad that my sister is having a party for her on the 28th, but I guess we are not invited, so now I don't even want to go to graduation.  I have been there for everything for my niece from T-ball games to elementary concerts and junior high volleyball games, but I'm not going to be somewhere when I'm not wanted.

I don't know what to say to my sister. I'm so upset that she is mad at Jason but she's taking it out on me. Jason is ready to confront his mom because he believes that she is the reason for this turn in events.  I really just want to let it all go and not worry about it, but I know that I can't. 

Ugh!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Even though it may cause more drama initially I do think that you should talk to your sister about all this and Jason should talk to his mom. Even if the outcome is unpleasant at least you'll (hopefully) get to the bottom of whatever it is that's causing this rift between y'all.
I also think you should just go ahead and go to your niece's graduation because you're going for HER, not your sister. I don't know if it's a ticketed event or not, but if it's not you wouldn't even have to sit with your sister. But I think it would mean something to your niece to have you there.
I'm sorry that you're even having to deal with this. Family drama does suck!
I hope it all blows over as soon as possilbe. *HUGS*

RoseAnn said...

{{{Hugs}}} I was going to say the same thing Melissa said about going to the graduation for your niece.

I don't know what to say about getting to bottom of it. I tend to have a lot of imaginary conversations but can never follow through on a useful confrontation.

miika said...

Family drama sucks! I think trying to get to the bottom of it might be a good idea, or at least if Jason is wanting to confront his mom, he should.
And for the graduation, I second Melissa.

Hobby Chef said...

This really sucks Jenn. I agree with Melissa and the others. Confronting the issue is probably best, even though the immediate outcome may not be the most pleasant. HUGS!