Thursday, July 20, 2006

Would you be insulted?

I was standing in my co-worker's office and we were talking to one of the guys. My co-worker was complaining about her marriage and how she celebrated 20 years yesterday, but they weren't very happy. She kept going on and on and the guy made a comment about how I never say anything. I just stay quiet. I explained that I'm not the kind of person that opens up and tells everything that goes on in my life. My co-worker said to him that it's those type of people that have awful marriages. They put up a front and make everyone think things are perfect, but it's really not.

I kind of took it as an insult that she was saying my marriage wasn't all it was cracked up to be just because I don't talk about every detail of my life.

And why would I want to tell how happy we are when every time I say something, she has something negative to say? "Like you haven't been married long enough. It'll get worse. " Why do I constantly want to hear that? Instead I just keep my mouth shut.

Would you be offended?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I think I would be offended. You have every right to keep your private life, well, private! Besides, if sharing about your marriage is just going to provoke negative comments, then who needs it?!
A bit fat WHATEVER to your co-workers! :P

Kelsie said...

I second Melissa in the Whatever.

I would be offended as well. How rude. She is just jealous b/c she is a miserable, miserable person.

I am with you on the keeping stuff private part. I don't share a whole lot of details with my co-workers or others that aren't my closest, closest friends.

Funny how I will share most of it with the internet though. Heh. I guess sometimes I forget that my blog isn't that private. ;)

Nancy said...

Me three!

And like Kelsie, it's weird how my internet friends know the 'real me' better than my family and real life friends LOL