Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Crazy Busy

Work has been crazy busy. Today is October 15th and all personal tax returns that had filed an extension are due today as well as partnerships and LLCs. Our accountant got the returns to us yesterday morning at 9 a.m. and then I had to look them all over because we our doubting his judgement. My big boss has already said that 2008 will be the last taxes that accountant prepares for us. It would have been these 2007 returns, but we've already paid him a retainer for 2008 taxes.

In 2009 it will be my responsibilty to prepare all of the tax returns and I have to admit that has me a little nervous. I had a crappy tax professor in college and I do not think I'm prepared. I have already started one of my continuing education courses on personal taxes and then I will do a refresher on business taxes. Hopefully, I will be ready when it's time. I just feel that there is too much to know and understand.

Tomorrow, I'm having our annual insurance audit, so I've been trying to get all of the records together that she requested. I'll have another audit in a few weeks for our workmen's compensation insurance. I also received a notice that the state is going to audit my sales tax records for the golf course. It's just routine, but I'm a little worried because I'm not the one that was running the sales through the computer and I don't know who they were not charging sales tax to. I know that I don't have any exemption certificates, so hopefully the golf course manager can be around the day of the audit to answer questions. After that audit, I can work on dissolving that corporation since we left the golf course business on July 31st.

Ugh! I like my boring life and this is just driving me insane.

2 comments:

RoseAnn said...

Hang in there on learning taxes. I'm sure you have someone you can go to for advice when you have questions?

Blech on audits of any kind. I actually don't mind the process of gathering evidence and records but I think their primary job is to find *something* not quite right and that frustrates me so much!

Nancy said...

ugh, taxes, yuck!! Good Luck with that!