Thank you for all of the thoughts and the offers to help. It looks like we are going to have a reprieve from the storm. Yesterday when I went to bed, the eye was scheduled to hit about 75 miles south of us and this morning when I woke up, they had changed the path to just south of the Texas/Mexico border. That is about 2 hours south of here, so hopefully, everything will be okay and we will just get the needed rain.
Jason finally understands our financial position. I've tried to get him to understand and that was always one of our biggest fights because I took care of everything and he didn't want to know about our bills. He just wanted to spend. I finally wrote everything down for him and compared it to what we make. We should have a lot of extra money every month and yet somehow we are always scraping by at the end of the month. I told him that August is going to be a very strict month because we have to buy Haley new school uniforms and supplies. Hopefully, now that he understands we can start to turn things around. We are planning on moving to the Houston area in 5 years and I want to be able to move and buy a house once we get there, so we need to do something now.
5 comments:
That's good that he finally sees where all the money goes and is willing to work with a budget. His is a mentality I have never understood, I'm one who needs to know all the details or I'm not comfortable spending anything :-)
Have you considered setting up an automatic transfer into a savings account that moves a set amount as soon the paycheck gets deposited into your checking account? That way, you're not just saving what is left at the end of the month (potentially very little) and you already see how much you really *can* spend during the month.
I'm hoping that by October we can get to that point of putting money in savings automatically. Right now any savings we have we end up pulling out to get us through. Haley has a savings account and the past few months, I pull it out and then when Jason gets paid, I put it back.
Now that he can see it, I'm hoping we can get on the right track.
Although I pay all the bills (phycially sitting down and making online payments or writing the checks and sending them out), Robert keeps close track on the computer so he's in tune with how we're doing.
Saving is more fun with a goal in mind. Is there something small, medium, big that you could save for individually or as a family?
I second the idea to do an automatic transfer. If you make it a priority to pay yourself first, the rest will work itself out, especially if you've crunched the numbers and are comfortable with your income vs. expenses.
Glad the storm is going to miss you!
Jenn! So glad the storm is going to miss you! Update us! Are you ok??
Man, oh man. That was a HUGE issue in my first marriage. My ex was such a HUGE spender - he thought if he had a check - he had money. I'm so glad you got him to sit down and see reality! Hope it improves greatly!
Good Jenn! HOpefully this will take some weight off your shoulders!!
Post a Comment