Thursday, January 17, 2008

Birthday parties

I don't know about all of y'all, but I loved having birthday parties as a kid. They were always at home and my friends always seemed to have a good time. My last birthday party was when I was 12 years old and everyone was having a blast. Even my sisters who were 22 & 23 at the time were playing Twister with us. We decorated cookies. That was the year my mom died and the reason that I never had any more birthday parties.

I've always wanted to give Haley the same thing. I want her to enjoy having birthdays and to know that she has friends and family that love her and want to celebrate with her. I guess that's why it bothers me that this is the first year that we aren't having a birthday party with her friends.

It is not financially feasible to have a birthday party with her friends. We are still having a family "party." Jason and I are taking her to Chuck E Cheese on Saturday and we have invited my dad and stepmom, his dad, his mom and my sister, but it's not like the parties I had as a kid.

I hope that next year we will be in a house (either one we own or rent) and we can have her friends come over. Our apartment is too small to do that now and I don't want to use anyone else's house and taking all of her friends to eat is too expensive.

Did you have birthday parties as a kid? If you have kids, do you throw parties now? I was talking to my friends on Making Friends for Life and they remember having parties as a kid, but they don't like giving their kids parties.

4 comments:

RoseAnn said...

I don't remember having any parties with my friends at home. I do remember one year (10th or 11th birthday) that we went to the skating rink for my birthday and we took 4 or 5 of my friends.

I loved helping on my sister's parties.

I always figured I didn't have enough close friends to have a party anyway. :(

Amanda said...

I had parties every year growing up - at least until middle school, when I was "over it." We always had a family party at our house the weekend after my birthday, too. Like you, I have wonderful memories of them - cupcake decorating, pizza making, Chuck E Cheese, McDonald's, sleepovers, cancelling the party the year I had chicken pox. Family parties were always pleasant, but kinda blend together -all the same, uneventful, and usually involved me getting clothes as gifts. LOL.

Mindy said...

I had birthday parties every year - and except for one time at Chuck E. Cheese - they were always at home. They were also always pretty low-key. Money was always tight - so my birthdays normally consisted of cake and ice cream and all of my family, the neighborhood kids and my friends from school and church.

I throw parties for my boys every year. I am really lucky that their birthdays are in May and September, AND we live right next to (literally - I have a house to my left and a huge grassy field with a gazebo and a bbq to my right.) This year, they both had lots of kids over and we bbqed hot dogs and had cup cakes (homemade) and a water balloon fight. Simple - but fun.

Nancy said...

I always had a birthday party, until I was 12. When I was 12 was the year my parents forgot my birthday hehe. Birthdays up home were always the same format : home made birthday cake, some gifts, and then we'd play limbo! lol One year my mother made my brother and all of his friends go through a really awesome treasure hunt to find his gift, that was a big hit hehe. She had them going all over the house and the yard hehe.