Thursday, January 24, 2008

Blog Challenges

There were two blog questions asked this week: one by Mindy and one by Heather.

First for Heather's challenge:

Which foods have a special place in your memory, and why?

I've been thinking about this since yesterday trying to think about foods that have a special place.

My mom used to make the best chicken-n-dumplings. I don't know what it was, but they were very delicious. No one that we visit really makes chicken-n-dumplings, so it's usually the only thing I order at Cracker Barrel because it reminds me of mom.

She also would make enchiladas and always made two batches: one with onions and one without for my sister and me. She knew that my sister and I would sit there and pick out every onion before we even ate a bite.

Whenever my dad was gone (he retired from the Navy when I was 5, but he still went on detachments because he continued to work for the Navy as a civilian), mom would always make Macarroni Mess. I don't even know all of the ingredients, but I know that it had hamburger meat, cream of mushroom soup and the macarroni noodles. I'm sure that there are more ingredients, but I don't really know. I think my sister might know how to make it, but I couldn't even tell you the last time I ate it.

I can't eat German Chocolate Cake without thinking of my mom.

Chicken noodle soup is the only thing that I will eat if I'm sick.

All of my food memories tie to my mom. I'm sure that there were things that my step-mom made on a regular basis, but I really couldn't tell you what they were.

Question #2 from Mindy:

What do you find romantic? What don't you find romantic? What is something that
everyone else thinks is romantic but that you don't see what the big deal is?
What is something that NO ONE finds romantic but it makes you swoon?
I've been thinking about this and reading through everyone else's blogs trying to think of how Jason and I are romantic and like Courtney, I really couldn't think of anything which is why I hadn't posted, yet.

He's only bought me flowers a handful of times and I've always griped about the cost after they've died. I don't think he's bought me flowers in a couple of years.

He doesn't buy jewelry very much, but what he does buy me I cherish. He surprised me on our first anniversary with a beautiful anniversary band that I wear every day even 7 years after he purchased it.

I can't think of anything romantic that I do, but I will try to ask him what he thinks I do that is romantic.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Mmm the macaroni mess sounds good !! ehhe