Thursday, October 27, 2005

I don't hate my in-laws, but I don't like them either

Does that make sense? Jason and I have lived with his parents many times. We lived with them for 3 months when we found out I was pregnant and decided we were going to get married sooner than we had expected. We moved out a month after the wedding (I lost the baby before the wedding).

We rented a house and then moved on campus and then we found out I was pregnant again. We were very broke and so we decided that moving in with his parents was a good idea. We lived there from July 2000 - April 2001.

We rented an apartment and then a house, but then we got behind on our rent and even though the church was very kind about not pressuring us for the rent money, I felt bad. We made the decision again to move in with his parents. That was January 2004. We just moved this past June.

Now I hate going over there. I've never liked my father-in-law. He's very perverted and I just don't like the way he talks about women. I avoid him as much as possible. He calls all of the time to see when we are coming to visit. Hello! We lived there for too long where I saw him every day. I don't want to see him now and why can't they come and visit us?

I drive 70 miles every day roundtrip to and from work. On Saturdays, the last thing I want to do is drive to visit them because then we get stuck there all day long. I have other things to do. If they want to see us (actually Haley) so badly, they can get in their car and drive to our apartment.

Anyway, the reason I'm complaining today is because Jason made me go over there yesterday. We met with Haley's teachers yesterday, so Jason was in town and said that maybe we could get a free meal out of it.

I think we stayed until 8 p.m. and then we had to drive home and put Haley to bed. While we were there, my father-in-law said that they want to have Thanksgiving in Houston with my sister-in-law and her boyfriend and my other sister-in-law (Jason's brother is in the Navy and not in the states right now). Father-in-law said that we could all drive up together in their car. I hate being uncomfortable for 4 hours in the car with my father-in-law. I really don't want to go and I especially don't want to ride with them. They just assume that we are going to have Thanksgiving with them. They didn't even consider that my sister and my dad are here and my sister and I made plans last year to have Thanksgiving at her house this year.

I don't know what to do, but I hate that they just assume that we are going to do the same thing as them. We have our own lives.

I'm done ranting now.

1 comment:

Hobby Chef said...

Ah yes ... in laws. Aren't they lovely? I say have Thanksgiving with your family if that's what you've planned to do. The in laws will get over it.