There are only two women in this office: myself and my co-worker. We work with 50 something guys. We like to look nice because it's nice to be complimented.
Well, we were told yesterday that we cannot wear short skirts or revealing shirts. I don't think we ever crossed a line, but I guess we did when the "Big Boss" brought the subject up. Today, I feel like I'm covered from neck to toe. It doesn't bother me. I guess the fact that we had to talk about it bothered me. I never meant to do anything that would be taken another way, which is what he said. He didn't want us to be put into compromising situations because of the way we dressed.
I don't know.
3 comments:
It's really tough to gauge the atmosphere in an office of guys - I dealt with that in engineering all the time. A lot of times, if I wore even a skirt, period, or a fitted shirt (like, a t-shirt, fully covering!), I'd get gawked at. I think the big boss is really just trying to cover their butts in terms of harrassment, not to mention eliminate any concern of attire being distracting in what is supposed to be a professional, conservative environment. I know what you mean about getting compliments, though - it feels nice! You don't need to wear short skirts and low-cut shirts (by the boss' perception, not yours) to get that, hon!!
Hmmm I deal with this one a lot. I guess I never considered skirts short unless they barely covered by butt, until this job. My boss has made more than one comment about my skirt length. Odd but I was always told that if your hem reached your fingertips when extended at your side that it was acceptable......apparently no one ever told my boss that.
What is the rule? I refuse to wear below the knee skirts as they make my legs look shorter than they already are!
Hi Jenn!!(waving),
We have a board for this subject. It's on the beauty and Style Channel called, Beauty and Style at Work. They cover a range of topics exactly like this one. There is so much out there to consider when dressing for work now a days. Be safe. Sisterlisa
Post a Comment