Thursday, November 10, 2005

That was hard

Today is my mother-in-law's birthday. Normally I make Jason buy the birthday cards, but this year I forgot to remind him. I'm supposed to take Haley to see her when I get off of work, so I figured that I should pick up some cards.

You have to remember that my mom died almost 14 years ago. I haven't bought a birthday card for her in a long time. When I would buy cards for my step-mom, I made sure that it said, "For my step-mom."

I also don't consider my mother-in-law as my mom. I call her by her first name. I always have and I always will. Picking out a birthday card for her from Jason and me was difficult. They didn't have any cards that said from "son and his wife." I would have preferred one of those. I don't really like the card that I bought, but it will do.

1 comment:

Hobby Chef said...

Oh Jenn - I can related. I haven't purchased an *actual* Father's Day card since my dad passed away in 1992. My mom is remarried to a fabulous guy, but I usually make him a card, or get him a generic card and write "Happy Father's Day!" inside, because he is great and has been like a dad to me. But this year I just didn't have time to make a card for him, so I ventured into the Father's Day card section at the Hallmark store. For some reason, I couldn't resist opening and reading all the cards for dads ... It was really painful, and I left the store in tears. *Sigh* Anyway, I think I know how you feel - ((((((HUGS))))))