Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 15 - what did I want to be

I'm went through the writing prompts trying to find something to write about and stumbled across this one:

"When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?"

When I was growing up, I wanted to be so many different things.  It really depended on who I looked up to at the moment.  All through elementary school, I wanted to be a teacher.  School was super easy for me and I was always helping the other kids.  I didn't realize it then, but I realized it in high school that I'm not a good teacher.  I have a hard time explaining things and trying to get people to understand how to do it on their own.  I'm very impatient and many times even now, I just want to do it myself.  One of my former professors called me a couple summers ago and asked if I wanted to teach an accounting class since I have my Masters Degree and I told her no thank you.  I'm not teacher material.

At another point in elementary school, I wanted to be a meterologist.  I have no clue why, but I remember studying clouds and weather patterns and who knows what else. 

In junior high, my sister was engaged to and then married a computer programmer.  He wrote some code and then sold it to the company he worked for and made a ton of money and I believe to this day still gets royalties off of it.  I really liked him and wish my oldest sister wasn't such a witch who pushed him away.  Anyway, I wanted to be just like him.  I'm good with computers, but I don't know any programming code and it seemed too difficult to learn.

My junior year of high school my schedule got all jumbled up and I was put in accounting.  I found it very easy and even competed in different after school activities and even went to Nationals with the Business Professionals of America.  That's when I decided to go to school to be an accountant.  At the time I wanted to work in one of the Big 5 firms.  It wasn't until Jason and I moved back home to finish our degrees that I settled on working in the private sector instead of the public sector.  I really like my job even though sometimes I'm very bored and think I'm losing my mind.  I won't be bored come January when it's time to start working on taxes again.

1 comment:

RoseAnn said...

What are the Big 5 firms in accounting?