Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Day 2 - The big move

Jason and my dad have never gotten a long, so it was a very rough situation renting from my dad and living about 20 feet from his back door.  My dad promised Jason that because we were paying rent, he wouldn't have to help out.  Well, my dad had back surgery in May and asked if we could pitch in, just so that the yard didn't get too bad.  I helped out by mowing, but Jason made a huge deal out of helping and it caused us to have fights. 

Another issue was our septic tank.  In September we had a ton of rain and as a result couldn't flush the toilets for 2 days until we could get the water pumped out of the yard.  I know that was out of my dad's control, but Jason took it as an opportunity to start looking for somewhere else to live. 

He put it out on Facebook that we were looking for a house in the city where he coaches.  One of his former students let us know that his grandparents have rent houses and would let us know if one became available.  The middle of September we got a phone call from this student's mom letting us know that a 3 bedroom/2 bath house would be available.  We moved in October 15.

My dad was not thrilled with the loss of rent income, but my step-mom was able to find someone to rent our house starting in December, so he was only out one month of rent because I paid the full month of October as well as a deposit and half month rent on the new house.  Ugh!  It was not a good month financially.

We have all of our stuff out of my dad's house and even the stuff we've had stored there.  He made a huge deal of getting all of our stuff out of there even stuff that has been in the attic since high school, so we have everything in our garage.  I really don't want to unpack anything else because right now the house is uncluttered, so I don't want to bring anything in.  LOL.  We are planning a massive garage sale for the first weekend of February to get rid of some of this stuff.  It is crazy how much stuff we have.

I haven't taken pictures, yet, because it's still not quite set up the way I want it.  I'm thrilled to have an office.  There are no computers or TVs in our bedroom and it is wonderful!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad to see it's all worked out! It sounds like you got a bigger place, which is always nice.

Heather said...

Congrats on the move. Even though it sounds like a stressful few months, it seems like something that will ultimately be a good choice for your family!

Mindy said...

Congrats on the move, Jen! And yay - for getting out of the stressful situation with your dad. Hoping you develop lasting friendships in your new area!

RoseAnn said...

It must be so difficult to have a family member as a landlord, especially if things are tense to begin with.

Good luck on the sorting and prep for the garage sale!

Nancy said...

I hope that you're settling in nicely into your new home!